You are an angel tasked whose job was to watch over humanity for the past 2000 year, try to convince God not to destroy it now that he has seen what it is today.
Light shimmered before me as a man materialised before me. I stepped back, startled. It had been 2000 years since I had seen this man. The humans on the Earth I was observing called him God. In reality he was just like me, only higher ranked. I saluted him.
“God,” I said in greeting to him.
“Angel,” He responded, observing the holographic projections on the table before us. I cringed as I saw the image of a man strangling his wife fading into a group of men surrounding a young girl in a parking lot.
“Destroy them.” God said without remorse, turning away from the images in disgust. “They don’t deserve the freedom I have given them. We are taking the other test subject home and destroying them. This race, these people, they don’t deserve to live.”
I stared at him in surprise. When we first came here and populated this planet it had been God that had believe we could find the good in these humans. We had gone against the Ephisit’s orders and saved the last humans from their dying home world. God had argued that they could be changed, that there was good in them still.
“Sir,” I said uncertainly.
“Silence, Angel.” I frowned, this man was so different to the compassionate scientist I had set out with two and a half thousand years ago. Where had they sent him to change his so much?
“It worked, sir. Your experiment.” I knew I would be in trouble for speaking out of turn, but he had to see what these people were really like. This was his vision, he wanted to save them, how could he condemn them now without proper evaluation. I moved closer to the table and tapped a few buttons.
Images popped up across the table, communities pulling together to help each other out after cyclones, tsunamis and other natural disasters. I showed God the scene of a mother diving into flood waters to save a small child. I looked closely at God’s face, nothing had changed. These people were condemned in his eyes. I sighed, I had been here for 2000 years, and I had seen the way the humans had changed. I had seen the way they had gone from fighting each other with steel weapons to guns and atomic bombs. I had almost lost faith at that point, certain they would continue on just as they had on their last home. They had stopped though. The first atomic bomb had caused them to rethink their weapons. The serum God had injected them with when we brought them here was beginning to work.
“It’s over, Angel, destroy them. They cannot be redeemed. Look at them, they are always fighting amongst themselves. Their countries cannot get along and within the countries there is anarchy. No, these humans have failed to change.”
“But sir, look at them. Look at how they have turned away from the atomic bomb, how they help each other out when they are in need. You can’t forsake them for the few who do wrong. If you must destroy them, allow me to save the ones who deserve it. I have been here for 2000 years, I have seen them grow and change. They can be better. Your serum, it’s starting to work!”
“I have been lenient with you thus far, Angel, but speak out of turn again and I will send you to join these humans you adore so much.”
No comments:
Post a Comment