"an angel exiled/banished to earth for falling in love with a human and bending or breaking some rule that can’t be broken. What the rule is, is your choice"
Falling is the first thing an angel feels. It’s pleasant at first, and then, pain. The pain hits like a truck. Maybe it was a truck after all. I look dazedly around at the bright headlights burning a hole in the night. Pain courses through me like electricity as I struggle to sit up. A man rushes towards me in horror. He’s talking, yelling, trying to communicate with me but it all sounds foreign to my ears. His arms are waving wildly around at first before settling into calming gestures that you might use on an animal. My hazy mind tries to focus on what is going on but it all happened so fast. One moment I was in heaven and the next, I was falling.
Heaven. The word pulled forth a torrent of memories and emotions. I broke the rules; I fell in love with a human. No, it was worse than that. I saved her life. This was my punishment, to live on this awful planet as a human, completely mortal. Angels weren’t meant to feel emotions, what had gone wrong with me? I shook my head, it didn’t matter anymore. I could never go back to that life. I had to work out where to go from here.
I looked up at the man for a moment, he was unimportant to me. I managed to bring myself to a standing position; the initial pain of falling was subsiding. I looked around trying to get my bearings. I had been to Earth so many times on missions and routine observations. I calculated how far I was from the nearest city. Not far, but too far to walk. I looked at the man again.
‘Take me to the city.’ I demanded. He stood stunned as he stared at me. I walked towards his truck before he had begun nodding.
The man dropped me on the edge of town, unable to bring his road train into the city centre. I didn’t care, I knew where I needed to go. I needed to find Emmalyn, the woman I loved. As the pain had begun to subside she had entered my thoughts and dominated them. I knew where she would be, at her small home on the outskirts of the city. It wouldn’t be far from here. Determinedly I set off down the street towards where I knew she would be.
The houses had begun to deteriorate in quality as I got closer to where she lived. I frowned, I didn’t remember it like this. I shook my head, my memories must be jumbled from the fall. I continued walking until I came to her door. Taking a deep breath I knocked on the door. One second. Two, three. I held my breath until finally I heard someone shuffling around and a light flicked on. I stood tall as I waited. An old woman opened the door a crack and I frowned at her in confusion. I had never seen this woman before.
‘Who are you?’ She demanded in a scratchy voice as she squinted into the darkness. I stared at her stunned. I opened my mouth to speak but no words came out. My mind was racing, this wasn’t at all how I had pictured it. Who was this old woman?
‘Who are you?’ She demanded again.
‘I’m,’ I paused; I hadn’t even considered that she might ask me ‘Roger.’
‘What do you want?’ She asked suspiciously. I felt offended by the way she was talking to me. What right did this human woman have to demand anything of me?
‘I’m looking for Emmalyn.’ I said forcefully, willing her to disappear. The door slammed in my face and I stumbled backwards. What just happened? Rage boiled through me and I stepped forward and knocked on the door again. The woman didn’t return so I kicked it open and walked into Emmalyn’s home. It was almost like I remembered it, only everything looked like it was sixty years older. I walked up the stairs and into the bedroom.
‘What are you doing!’ She exclaimed, horrified.
‘Where is Emmalyn?’ I demanded. She frowned at me.
‘I’m right here, what do you want from me?’ Fear had begun creeping into her voice as she spoke. Realisation flooded me. Of course He wouldn’t let me spend my life with her here. I looked at her again, she was frail and old, but her face still had the same high cheekbones, the brilliant blue eyes. I collapsed to my knees at the end of the bed and despair washed over me.
No comments:
Post a Comment