Wednesday, 16 July 2014

Winning the Lottery

"You win the lottery, now everyone wants some of your money, do you help, or keep it all for yourself?"


I controlled my expression as the final number in the lottery draw appeared on the screen. Another match, I had won. I looked over that the large man lying on the couch next to me, his eyes closed and snoring loudly. I stood slowly, careful not to wake him. I walked to the only window in our tiny apartment, placing my hand on my growing stomach as I peer out at the city below. I carefully slipped the crumpled ticket from my pocket and confirmed the numbers. Excitement tingled through me again as I quickly hid it again. I could get out of her, be free of the man of the couch. I brushed the bruise on my cheek; I’d never be hurt by him again.


I quietly moved around the room, collecting the few belongings I still had before slipping out the front door. I stood for a moment, debating if I should take the stairs or the elevator. Stairs I decided at last, there was no way that man would be able to chase me down eighteen flights of stairs. I set off, my heart lightening with every step I took away from that place. I reached the ground floor and walked out into the reception area.


‘Lindsey!’ The man at the desk greeted me. I turned towards him startled. I didn’t know he even knew who I was. Dread began to creep into my heart as my mind ran over possible reasons. I blinked my eyes and pulled myself together.


‘Hello,’ I returned the greeting in what I hoped was a steady voice. I couldn’t stop my mind from going back to the thought that this man must be working for Him.


‘Where are you off to so late, young lady?’ His voice sounded demanding to me, as though it were his right to know. I felt paralysed, He would know I had left, He would know where I was going. I forced myself to move towards the door. The man began to move out from behind the desk and I bolted for the door. I had to get out of here.


‘Lindsey!’ The man called after me ‘Are you okay?’


I ignored him as I raced as fast as my heavy body would take me up the hill and into the city. It had been days since I had been allowed out of the apartment, the bright lights and strong smells were dizzying and I suddenly found it hard to breathe. I fell to my knees outside an old book store, the world spinning around me. I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up to see the man from reception standing over me talking into his phone. I couldn’t make out what he was saying, but I knew I had to get away from him, I had to find a way to escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment