This is a little snippet I wrote when my daughter went to the doctor without me for the first time.
The phone rings twice before being answered.
‘Good afternoon, this is the Medical Centre, how may I help you?’ The young woman’s voice bubbles through the line. I clear my throat and gather my courage.
‘Hello, I need to speak with my doctor, it’s Doctor M.’ I hold my breath as I wait for her response. She taps away on her computer.
‘Oh,’ she says and I can almost hear the frown in her voice as she speaks, ‘Doctor M isn’t in today.’ I freeze, speechless for a moment.
‘What do you mean she isn’t there?’ I demand.
‘She’s not been in all day, she’s on holidays until next week.’
‘That’s not possible.’ I say. ‘My daughter is there right now with her. She has an appointment to see her right now.’ Disbelief and fear war within me as I try not to panic.
‘I’m sorry, but if she’s here, where are you?’ Her voice is polite but I can almost hear her needling me.
‘Her father brought her in. I need to speak with her.’ I insist.
‘I’m sorry,’ she repeats, sounding more impatient than sorry. ‘Doctor M isn’t in today. Now, is there anything else?’ I hang up the call without saying good bye. Where is she?
No comments:
Post a Comment